I want to take a minute and just say how grateful I am for everything in my life, particularly the people in it.
To my family: Thank you for ALWAYS being there since day 1. Life is only possible and purposeful because of you.
To my friends: A lot of you fall in this category:) Thank you for the memories, laughs, experiences, support, adventures, and never ending fun. Even those of you I have only met once or hardly ever see, I appreciate our relationship and hope we stay connected for years to come.
To my mentors: There are a handful of you who have helped me grow in ways I never thought possible, and I am so grateful to have been under your guidance and leadership.
To my coworkers: Some things only certain people will understand, and the daily interactions and hours we spend together are unforgettable and cherished.
To my students: Thanks for keeping life full of excitement. There is a never a dull moment, and you all have taught me exponentially more than I could teach you.
And to everyone else in my past, present, or future: Thank YOU all for making every day worth living. Your stories and our connection are no accident, and I know the universe brings all the right people together at the right time for the right reason.
❤ ❤ ❤
I hope everyone reading this right now takes a moment to reflect on who they are grateful for and why. The people in our lives are truly the best, and what would any day be without them?? Let’s promise ourselves to keep connecting with individuals and never taking an encounter (no matter how small or short-lived!) for granted. 🙂
In the spirit of Valentine’s Day (my favorite holiday!) tomorrow, I dedicate this year to Love.
Not only Friendship love, Romantic love, Family love… let this year be the year we love a little harder ALL those individuals who bless us daily. From our co-workers, to the store clerk, to the barista, our friends’ friends, our neighbors, the bus driver,.. even those people we have never officially met before and especially those people we are too busy to remember (YES that means YOURSELF too!)–love them all a little more.
Love is the common denominator to everything good in life. Love makes the world go ’round. The power of love is a force so strong, that we live and die for it. We can feel it’s energy through walls, across oceans and skies.
Don’t underestimate the power of the three simple words, “I love you”. Say it more often, to more people, and do not forget to include yourself.
Happy Valentine’s Day!! Here’s to the year of loving more.
2018 is right around the corner, and I wanted to create a list to hold myself accountable.
- Travel to New Places. At least two new international locations and two new domestic. 2017 was a bit of a transition period for me, and I did not get to have as many of the travel experiences as I normally do due to time and budgeting priorities. 2018 is different because I know my schedule and financial situation:) Let me know if you want to travel or would like a visitor!
- Learn Spanish. This sort of goes along with the international travel piece above. I took 3 years of Spanish in high school, but have since lost practice and forgotten a lot of it. I want to improve in my conversational Spanish and use it in my travels. Anyone want to practice with me or be my language partner?
- Say Yes. After listening to a podcast on Shona Rhimes’ “Year of Yes”, I am inspired to say yes to even more opportunities and experiences this year. More parties, events, travel, experiences. So if you ever need a companion or know of fun opportunities, invite me!
- No Makeup. I’m not someone who wears much if any makeup to begin with, and I would like to continue this in 2018. This means not wearing any ever (not for special occasions, going out etc). Don’t think this should be too hard since I already have gone 4 months or so. Plus it helps me focus on eating and living healthy, which I believe is the key to “glowing” (better than any make up could ever do!) Note: please don’t take this to mean I am anti-makeup…you do whatever makes you feel your best!!
- Be Impeccable With My Word. This comes from Don Miguel Ruiz’ “The Four Agreements”, and I believe will be the most challenging. Ruiz writes that being impeccable means to use your word ” in the direction of truth and love” and to “clean the emotional poison that lies within you”. Speak with integrity and speak only what you mean. Express what you really want. Communicate truthfully. Don’t say yes if you really mean no. Don’t gossip just to fit in. Live with integrity. Don’t say you’re going to exercise or eat healthy or save money, and then turn around and do the opposite.
Alright..this list of 5 is a good start for me. What do you plan on doing or changing in the year 2018?
Hope you have a great last day of 2017, and cheers to the new year!!
Quick July/August/Sept/Oct updates:
- Bought a condo in the best city in the world
- Started my career teaching with Atlanta Public Schools
- Strengthened and/or formed new healthy relationships with friends/family
- Applying to Ed.D Curriculum and Instruction at Georgia State to start summer 2018
As you can see there has been a lot going on..hence I haven’t written a blog post in a while.
But another reason why I haven’t written in a while is because I’ve been intentionally working on learning to rest. I feel that as a society we are pushed to work and be productive all the time. That every minute of our lives must be filled with some sort of “doing”.
I get caught up in work and goals all the time..and even when I get a minute of quiet time to myself, I still feel like I could be doing something– such as writing a blog post.
It is hard to break away from the need to be productive all the time. But sometimes the most productive thing we can do is just rest. Just do nothing. Sleep or sit and relax, and just let your body and mind take a much needed break for a minute.
So in the spirit of taking a break and care of myself, I’m keeping this post short and sweet. Rest well everyone!!! Let your body and mind recover and heal from the craziness of life.
Happy June! I love summer. As someone who has been a student and then a teacher for pretty much her whole life, summer always had a special carefree vibe about it. Sunshine brightens the mood, and I think because the days are longer there is this illusion of more time. More time for fun, more time for love, more time to procrastinate errands, more time for nourishing the soul. Life is good in the summer:)
But what about the rest of the year? Continue reading
Life has been amazing recently, and I can attribute a lot of it to the simple fact that I have been practicing the art of Detaching..the art of Letting Go.
We tend to take things too personally. We let our environment control our happiness. We let negative thoughts consume our mind. We waste time playing made-up scenarios in our heads. We keep toxic relationships in our lives.